Kevin Spacey’s new movie hit theaters this weekend. The two-time Oscar winner has essentially been excommunicated from Hollywood after more than a dozen men and teen boys came forward last fall with accusations of sexual harassment and assault, including “Star Trek: Discovery” actor Anthony Rapp, who says Spacey made sexual advances on him when he was just 14.
The film was unceremoniously dumped on video-on-demand and digital platforms such as iTunes and Amazon in July and opened Friday in a handful of theaters in 10 states, playing in or near cities such as Phoenix, New Orleans, Minneapolis and Chicago. The Hollywood Reporter says the film earned just $287 in the U.S. on Friday and Saturday, though distributor Vertical Entertainment hasn’t released weekend numbers. According to Box Office Mojo, “Billionaire Boys Club” has earned $1.5 million internationally in the last month. “We don’t condone sexual harassment on any level and we fully support victims of it,” Vertical Entertainment said in an earlier statement provided to USA TODAY.
“At the same time, this is neither an easy nor insensitive decision to release this film in theaters. … In the end, we hope audiences make up their own minds as to the reprehensible allegations of one person’s past, but not at the expense of the entire cast and crew present on this film.”